Volunteering to serve God overseas can be life-changing for you and the people you serve. Serving others in another country, and being a living example of God’s word, is faith in action which can produce incredible fruit for the Gospel.
Throughout the Lutheran Church of Australia’s history, many different people have served as full-time workers or volunteers – for various periods of time – particularly in Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.
God uses people from a huge variety of backgrounds to humbly do his will overseas. Doctors, nurses, teachers, mechanics, accountants, research assistants, students, retired people and even young people wanting to fill a gap year – have been able to join pastors in serving God and his people in other nations.
The LCA has two full-time paid missionaries serving overseas – Mick Hauser (lecturing at Martin Luther Seminary, Lae, PNG) and Hanna Schulz (linguist and translation advisor, Gulf Province, PNG).
However, a growing number of volunteers are offering their time to serve in a wide range of exciting ministry areas with our overseas partner churches.
- Bethany Home (school/homes for people with disabilities)—teachers with Special Education qualifications; pastors or people able to provide spiritual care and encouragement for the staff and children; adults and young adults needed for practical service
- Rumah Luther Ria—school for people with disabilities
- Rumah Chrestus—home for abused children
- Rumah Hope—home for orphans, abused and neglected children
- Teaching English in Sabah in the schools for ‘undocumented children’ or in youth-ministry programs
- Teaching English at the Rainbow Student Hostel (Phnom Penh) or English and computing at the Life Centre (Phum Krus)
- Home of Praise—day-care centre for infants and after-school programs for children and young people
- Home of Grace—home for unwed mothers and their babies
- Teaching English in the schools and seminaries
- Teaching English and practical help in orphanages
Papua New Guinea
- Builder/handyman able to help with maintenance, and construction of houses